Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Social Justice in Education - What Makes a Family?

During the time that my parents were growing up in a school system, in greater Boston, they were used to going to class with other white, European descent, similar class students. It was rare to have a child that was very different from the other kids. In those days, everyone was alike. In my generation, I am much more used to being around other students who are very different from me. I went to school with kids from all different types of ethnic backgrounds, races, and family situations.

Now that we are in the year 2011, society has vastly changed. No longer are we expecting that a child comes from a family with a mother and father, most likely still married and living together. These days, there are all different kinds of families. Kids are coming from a home where the parents may be divorced, remarried, with a new girlfriend or boyfriend, or even with a member of the same sex.

According to the article "What Makes a Family" in Newsweek on September 30, 2010, the vast majority of Americans now view gay parents with children as "families". So why is it that so many people are dead set against educating children in school systems on these "types" of families. In Lexington, a father sued the school system when his child was read a book that featured a gay couple. If it is socially acceptable, why would so many people have such a problem with this type of education?



As teachers, we walk a fine line of what is acceptable and what is not when we are teaching America's youth. I personally think the more exposure the better. My best friend comes from a family where her dad is gay, and her brother is gay. Her niece and nephew know that they are both gay and it is completely acceptable and open to talk about. On the other end of the spectrum, my sister got upset with me for mentioning my "gay" friends in front of my two young nephews. She didn't want them exposed to that kind of lifestyle until they had to be. I was very upset by this, but I had to realize that this was her right to feel that way. To me, why not educate our youth on what is going on around us? I am not gay, but I have many friends who are, and I support them 100%. It upsets me when someone believes that they made a choice, or that they are abnormal because of their sexual orientation. I just know that is the way they were born. But so many people do not agree with that.

So my question is this - is it better to educate kids on what is going on in the world, or do we have to step around certain subjects? It does seem that it's a highly debated topic that doesn't have an answer. It will be interesting to see what happens years from now and if it is a subject that we can talk freely about in our schools.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/04/what-makes-a-family-more-americans-say-gays-count.html

No comments:

Post a Comment